Today marks 56 days till the start of SXSW Interactive, and the festival website has been full of big news including the announcement for the sale of music wristbands beginning on January 16th, Neil deGrasse Tyson as the keynote speaker for SXSWi on March 8 and 741 more showcasing bands were added to the official list of festival artists.
Beyond the official news, the Coachella lineup hosting the OutKast reunion made the SXSW rumor mill go into overdrive. It’s a fair rule that any band with a tour gap in Texas during the fest is most likely playing a show, even if they’re not included as an official artist at this point. Outside of the official added acts, SX is known for last minute pop-up shows, corporate sponsored large acts and ‘secret’ artist performances,which are often left up to speculation until the week of the fest or even day of the show. Last year, MySpace pulled this tactic with Justin Timberake – even though the rumor was out that he would most likely be a surprise guest early on – and Samsung managed to keep their Prince performance mum until 3 days before The Purple One took the stage at La Zona Rosa.
So far, Twitter SX-expert SXSWhoa has been incredibly on it with the detective work. This list of potential artists hit our inbox this morning and SXSWhoa gave us the go ahead to share these speculations with the world. Below are most likely, possible and completely out there rumors for SX 2014 performances.
These artists are likely because of how close their announced tour dates line up to SXSW.
1. 2Chainz (in Dallas on March 13th, Houston on March 14th)
2. Miley Cyrus (in San Antonio on March 15th, Houston on March 16th, AustinBloggy pointed out that Miley is on tour with Icona Pop and Sky Ferreira, so all three could be likely SXSW performances)
3. Wiz Khalifa (March 15th in South Padre – side note: it is really nuts how many tweets that exist with people debating if they’re going to South Padre or SX – college kids.)
4. Broken Bells (tour ends in NOLA on March 12th)
5. St Vincent (New album out end of Feb, March 10th Houston, March 14th Dallas – we’re hoping for an ACL Live taping if possible for this one)
6. Childish Gambino (March 7th Dallas, March 8th Houston)
Probable because these acts have played SXSW in the past or are touring stateside during music week.
1. Avicii (in Sweden March 1st then nothing till a Mexico date March 16th)
2. Bassnectar (scheduled in South Padre March 14th)
3. Cut Copy (in Nashville to kick off US tour 3/19, has no TX dates listed on tour)
4. Zedd (nothing between a Vegas show 1/18 and BUKU on March 21st in NOLA)
5. Spark Master Tape (in the process of booking spring tour)
6. Kings Of Leon (convenient break between 3/8 in Chicago and 3/19 in Phoenix)
7. Elton John (March 13th in Dallas then March 15th in Alabama)
These are bands that currently have no commitments during music week and are either touring or playing a festival (Big Day Out, Lollapalooza, Coachella, BUKU, etc) that most likely doesn’t have an exclusive. These are acts that parties are probably trying to court.
1. Baauer (Lollapalooza)
2. Blur (Bid Day Out)
3. Brand New (kicks off UK tour in April)
4. Capital Cities (Lollapalooza, Coachella)
5. DeadMau5 (has a break between 3/10 and 3/14 between his Australia and India tour)
6. Deftones (Big Day Out)
7. Dillon Francis (Big Day Out)
8. Eminem (concludes over seas tour 3/1)
9. Ghost BC (Big Day Out)
10. Gnarls Barkley (announced “new music in 2014” Cee-Lo is available and Danger Mouse will be in town with Broken Bells)
11. Lana Del Rey (Coachella)
12. Mac Miller (Big Day Out and then in Colorado 4/19)
13. Mayday Parade (overseas tour concludes March 8th and no TX dates till August)
14. New Order (Lollapalooza)
15. Pearl Jam (Big Day Out)
16. Skrillex (concludes 4 city tour March 1st and then has no commitments)
17. Snoop Dogg (Big Day Out)
18. Soundgarden (Lollapalooza)
19. The 1975 (Has a gap in their European tour 3/11-3/24)
20. The Crystal Method (nothing scheduled past January and usually make a SXSW appearance)
21. The Lumineers (Big Day Out)
22. Phoenix (Australian tour ends March 10th then nothing scheduled till June)
23. Tokyo Police Club (Nothing scheduled between January and May)
Not Impossible but Not Likely
These acts don’t have dates scheduled in Texas near the time of the festival – and in the case of Daft Punk – are always on the rumor list.
1. Alabama Shakes (concluded a US tour with no TX dates in December and played SXSW 2 years ago.)
2. OutKast (odds are that Coachella has exclusive reunion rights for the reunion unfortunately)
3. Daft Punk (The only place you’ll probably get to see their live show this year is at the Grammy’s… or on the lawn of the Texas Capitol)